Tuesday 23 June 2020

Breadmaking Extra






Hi all, moving away from history for a while to give you some pointers on bread making.  There are a few reasons for this - firstly that I know it's a popular subject at the moment.  A lot of people have told me that they're trying their hand at bread during lockdown - partly due to having more time, and also out of necessity when we've all been trying to avoid the shops.  Secondly, my beloved Kitchenaid has stopped working.  I've realised just how much I relied on it, so now trying to firm up the old arm muscles with a spot of hand baking  - and having to learn new techniques along the way!

And thirdly - I'm discovering the joys of fresh yeast!  Having always had mediocre results with my bread making, I tried baking with this at a folk festival.  The lady waxed lyrical about it, and it did make lovely bread.  However, I was unable to find it anywhere when I returned home.  During lockdown our lovely local butcher - Gamble and Hollis in Syston - have been stocking it.   It has made a huge difference!  My bread feels so soft and airy - I'm becoming quite addicted to making it.  So, do try fresh yeast if you get the chance.  Massive shout out here to all those local businesses who have kept us going through tough times - we really appreciate you!

A disclaimer - I am certainly no baking expert, and always welcome tips and hints from other people.  These are simply some tips which have helped me, as a beginner.

Here are the quantities you'll need for a basic white bread recipe:-
  • 2 tsp caster sugar
  • 425ml (3/4pt) water
  • 2 1/2 tsp dried yeast, 20g fresh yeast or 1 1/2 7g sachets fast-acting yeast
  • 750g (1lb 10oz) strong white flour]
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 40g (1 1/2oz) chilled butter or 4 tbsp olive oil

So, if you're using fresh yeast you'll need to start if off.  Place it in a jug, with 150mls of the water and your 2 tsp sugar.  Cover and leave for at least 5 minutes, until it starts to froth.  You'll see little bubbles appearing, and may even hear it fizz when you stir it.  Some recipes recommend using warm water for bread making but (this is a tip from Paul Hollywood), there is absolutely no need.  The slower the rise, the better the flavour.  So, room temperature is fine. (Note - if you're using dried yeast, there's no need to start it off.  Just add to your jug of water, and pour into the mixture - as below).

Meanwhile, sift the flour and salt into a large, roomy bowl.  Rub in butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs,  or mix in olive oil.  When the yeast is ready, make a well in the flour and pour it in.  Then, gradually mix in about 300 mls of water.  Again, room temperature is fine.   I use my hand like a claw, gradually pulling in all the flour - the same technique that is used to mix scones.


You may need a little more or less water (good organic flours tend to be quite 'thirsty', and often need more water than a recipe states). You want just enough that the flour is all incorporated, and your mixture feels slightly sticky. To start with, you'll have a lumpy, messy mixture.  Begin to pull it together and it will get smoother, I promise!  Knead it in the bowl until the stickiness has gone.  I find this the easiest, least messy technique.




Then, turn out onto a clean surface.  I like my silicone mat - it's a great worktop saver, and also has measurements marked on it, so it's really helpful if you want roll something to an exact size.


Knead for about 10 minutes until you have a smooth, stretchy ball.  My technique is to pull it out, roll up again,and give it a good squeeze and squash with my knuckles.  Then knock it down on the worktop, and start the cycle again.  But everyone has their own technique.  (Note - knocking on the worktop does not work when you have a dough full of dried fruit.  I learnt this to my cost - currants flying all over the kitchen!






Place into a large, oiled mixing bowl.  Cover tightly with cling film and leave to rise until it's doubled, or even tripled in size.  Again, you don't need a warm spot.  When I first tried bread making I was putting bowls by radiators, or clearing towels out of the airing cupboard to make room for my bowl.  I've also heard people say that they put it in their oven on a very low setting.  You really don't need to.. Just a draught-free spot in the kitchen is absolutely fine. 
 




When the dough is fully risen, knock it down in the bowl to get rid of some air.  Then, turn it out onto your clean surface again.  Knead for about 5 minutes - you're trying to get as much of that air out as possible, and getting the yeast working again.  


Now, shape your bread.  This quantity will make 2 loaves or 11-12 bread rolls.  For loaves, split in half and divide between 2 loaf tins.  For rolls, weigh out pieces of dough of about 100g each.  Roll each into a ball, tucking the base under to give a nice smooth surface.  Then, place your hand around the ball like a cage,  Roll around gently to give a nice round shape.  Place on 2 baking trays, well spaced apart.


Cover your tray or loaf tin loosely with plastic - I usually use a clean bin bag.  The idea is to give your bread room to rise, while preventing it forming a skin.  Leave for 30 minutes to 1 hour, until well risen again.  Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 200C/400F/GM6.

When your bread is ready, bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes (for loaves) or 10-12 minutes for rolls.  Here's another Paul Hollywood tip - while you're heating your oven, place a deep baking tin into the bottom.  After you put your bread in, pour about 2 litres of water into the tin and immediately shut the door.  The resulting steam will help to give your bread a really good crust.  You'll know your bread is ready if it sounds 'hollow' when tapped on the bottom.

I hope that's helped, and inspired you to try bread making if you haven't before.  Here's a French style loaf that I made the other day.  Delicious!

Would love to know if this inspires anyone to try breadmaking, and hear any tips that you might want to share!



No comments:

Post a Comment