Monday 3 March 2014

Basic cookie recipe


'This recipe is the basis for many combinations. Experiment with ingredients - flavourings, dried fruits, nuts, spices and even herbs such as lavender - to find your favourite'
Rachel Allen, 'Bake', p14

Well, If you saw my last post you'll know that our house has been full of cake and naughty leftovers since Evan's birthday. Added to this, Nigel has decided he's on a health kick, so I'm not supposed to be indulging his sweet tooth. So, it's time to share my baking with other people (which, after all, is supposed to be a big part of this blog)

Well, a very good friend of ours moved house this week so I decided to bake some house warming cookies. She's a big fan of ginger, so I added chopped crystallised ginger and lemon zest to the basic mix. The dough felt slightly dry, so instead of water, I added some lemon juice. Very pleased with this combination, it had a real 'zip'.  

Feeling quite inspired by cookie making now, lots of scope to be creative with flavour combinations! Rachel suggests poppy seed; lemon; orange; white chocolate and orange; spices; ginger; double chocolate chip or white chocolate and dried cranberry. Got me thinking... how about banoffee; salted caramel or even Mars bar cookies! What do you think? If that's got you inspired, let me know! Pop your flavour suggestions in the comment box and who knows, I might have a go!


Thought you might like to see my cookie making assistant, of sorts! He's a boy after my own heart - helped me for about 5 minutes then said "I'll come back and lick the bowl, that's the best bit isn't it Mummy?!'

And who can argue with that?!




No comments:

Post a Comment